Monday, July 30, 2007

Bob Costas Fires Back at Barry Bonds

I have always had a mixed opinion of NBC sportscaster Bob Costas. While there is no doubt he is a tremendous broadcaster, and I grew up both listening to his weekly national radio show, and watching him on television, as I got older, his grandiose style seemed too preachy, and his soliloquies delivered from someone who seemed to like himself talk just a bit too much. But, then again, I write a blog where it's obvious I like to hear myself talk (so to speak) so who am I to judge? In any case, I've gained a new level of respect for Costas this week after he fought with one of sports biggest villains these days, Barry Bonds.

Apparently, Costas had the audacity to challenge Bonds on the eve of Bonds breaking of Hank Aaron's all-time home run record, reciting the familiar steroid accusations against Bonds. Bonds, ever the classy individual, responded by calling the 5'6" Costas a "midget" who knows nothing about baseball.. As a sports journalist who would likely have to look up to Costas if we ever met, I wasn't happy with the height crack. Not that I liked Barry Bonds anyway. But, Bonds comments did get a reaction out of Costas, which gave me a good chuckle.

"As anyone can plainly see, I'm 5-6 1/2 and a strapping 150, and unlike some people, I came by all of it naturally,'' Costas said Thursday.

Costas as also on MSNBC's Morning Joe this morning (with the funny Willie Giest sitting in for host Joe Scarborough) and he went after Bonds, laying out the statistical anomalies since Bonds alleged steroid use began in a clear, and convincing fashion. Very prosecutorial.

Add To: Digg! Reddit Del.Icio.Us Stumble

1 comments:

Rikkert Faneyte said...

Costas used Selective facts (and manipulation of those facts) to strengthen his argument.

Aaron's two best slugging percentage years were age 37 and 39.

Ted Williams: .731 at 38 ... second highest (not counting the abbreviated 52 and 53 seasons.

Costas is indeed a midget in more ways than one.

you should have quit your comments at:
his grandiose style seemed too preachy, and his soliloquies delivered from someone who seemed to like himself talk just a bit too much.

Basically lil' Bob has a Sports Napolean complex, and it's showing more than ever.

What a dork to make this into his personal crusade, and all due to Bonds poking back at him.

Costas= little pu$$y

 

© New Blogger Templates | Webtalks